<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 26, 2004

the future *impending doom music* 

Do I want to converse with convicted criminals, or do I want to teach 10 year olds how to long division? I'm really not sure. If i go with experience and education, it's the criminals. But what if I go with my gut? The idea of planting knowledge in a young child's head is exciting to me. How they are taught in those critical few years will influence how they grow and learn.

Would I love science if it weren't for grade four and playing with lightbulbs and batteries? What about math and our multiplication showdowns in grade 5. Is it sad that I love the conjugation of 'er' verbs in french: e, es, e, ons, ez, ent. My introduction to proper French grammar was the focus of grade 6 and my adorable French teacher monsieur Aucoin.

But then I go to these meetings. I meet these people who have done horrible things. But in some of them I see how ashamed they are. I see how they want help. I see them improve. They have done these monstrosities, but they aren't monsters. They have lives, and loves, and passions. What they did was wrong, and when they know it is wrong is when they are better off. They still have heartache and may never get better. How can I not listen to these people. Do you know what it feels like to see a young man for the first time in his life trust another? To be there for the exact moment it happens. You can actually see in his eyes the decision that he can do it, and that he's scared as hell. What if no one was there to see it?

What do I do? Help start a brand new life, or help rebuild one?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?